Monday, July 7, 2008

Walking in Memphis





Tennessee is a long and boring state.

Well, that's not really fair. Maybe it's just that I-40 is a long and boring road.

I left Winston-Salem at 9 am this morning. I hit Asheville by noon, got into Tennessee shortly after.

I had really hoped to have more pictures, but honestly, there was nothing to take pictures of. I got one of the Great Smoky Mountains when I came over a rise on the highway and suddenly I was in the middle of the mountains. It was so overcast this morning, with the clouds way low, that I never even saw the mountains coming. My ears were popping before I could even see mountains! The other picture is a smaller version of the "Welcome to Tennessee sign" at the state line. I wanted to get a shot of the actual sign, but yeah, curvy mountain roads + camera = bad mix.

One notable thing about the drive was what I saw just this side of the TN/NC state line: a pair of Oscar Meyer Weinermobiles! That's right, a pair of them, heading eastbound on 40. It happened too fast for me to get a picture. Naturally the first thing I did was call my brother Rob to tell him about it. If that's all I remember of Tennessee, well, what's the problem?

It shouldn't be, though. I drove 10 hours today to get to Memphis. Tomorrow I hope to get to OK City, which is a much shorter drive. With the extra time I have, I'm thinking a trip to Graceland might be in order for tomorrow morning.

1 comment:

MJW said...

You BETTER post Graceland pictures.